Discovering Medieval Murcia
Today it is possible to take a historical tour of a city that is thousands of years old, on an itinerary through museums and shopping centres and establishments that conserve the remains of Muslim buildings integrated into them.
The Cathedral Museum is located in the old cloister, on the visible ruins of the 13th century Great Mosque
The museum space preserves part of a residence from the 11th-12th centuries, and a section of the prayer room of the 13th century mosque represented by a row of brick pillars founded on large mortar footings. Outside the Cathedral, you can admire the Gothic façade in the Plaza de los Apóstoles and, inside, visit medieval chapels such as the chapel of San Antonio or the chapel of Los Vélez.
Remains of the wall, antemuralla and defensive tower next to the Verónicas Square
Next to the Mercado de Veronicas, on the right-hand side, you can see a section of the wall that was discovered when the old convent of Verónicas was demolished. It is a southern section of the wall dating from the 11th to 13th centuries. The elevation of two towers of the wall, the sentry walk and the barbican are preserved in the open air. One of the walls, practically complete, is embedded in the Veronicas Church. It is one of the largest preserved sections of the city, both in terms of height and extension.
In the Museum of St. Clare you can see important remains of the Alcazar Seguir or Alcazar Menor
The jewel of Islamic Murcia that the city treasures is located inside the convent of St. Clare the Royal. It conserves the elevation of part of the outbuildings of the Alcázar Seguir or Alcázar Menor, a large collection of pieces from the 10th to the 15th century and a beautiful courtyard with its pool and flowerbeds.
Located outside the walls of the Arab medina of Murcia, the origins of the occupation of this site can be traced back to the pleasure palace that the Murcian Taifa king Ibn Mardanis (Wolf King) built during his prosperous reign (1147-1172).
Interpretation Centre of the Arabic Wall of St. Eulalia
The Centre houses a section of the medieval walls of Murcia where it is possible to appreciate the evolution of the urban defences over the centuries. It is possible to visit the archaeological remains that were discovered in 1963, which consist of a section of the Andalusian defensive system, including one of the preserved stretches of the highest wall of the city.
The perfect structure of the Gate of Santa Eulalia (or of the Seven Gates), which has a curious layout typical of Islamic walls, can also be seen in this museum. A fortification that witnessed great historical milestones, through which King James I of Aragon and his troops entered on 2 February 1266. It is also possible to contemplate the reform it underwent at the beginning of the 15th century, with the construction of a monumental white brick gateway in a bend.
La Muralla Cafeteria
Inside the cafeteria La Muralla, located in the basement of the traditional hotel Rincón de Pepe, in Cánovas del Castillo street (formerly Val de San Juan street), one of the longest sections of the ravelin of the Andalusian defensive system is preserved.
This site has the peculiarity of being able to enjoy a leisure activity next to the walls of the medieval fence. Here we can perfectly appreciate the hollows that the ravelin had, similar to the arrow slits, designed to repel enemy attacks.